Sunday, July 1, 2012

The 2012 Summer Olympics Activities

I love the Olympics.... I mean I really LOVE them! I love the way so many nations of the world come together for sport and celebration. I love watching athletes overcome challenges to put their best foot forward while representing their country. I love what the Winter Olympics did for my hometown in 2010 - the feeling in Vancouver was unlike any I've ever felt before and the pure joy of the event will live with me forever.  Lastly, I love the values that the Olympics can teach students... work hard, play nice, the honor of representing one's country, and the importance of taking care of yourself physically and mentally.


I really wish (sounds weird, I know...) that I was teaching during the Summer Olympics as there are so many great teaching opportunities  that can cover so many subject areas and grade levels.


Here are a few fun suggestions for those of you teaching this summer (or even for those of you who are back to school in August)
  • Follow an athlete from your hometown, state or province.  See what kind of background information you can find on them and then track their progress at the Games.
  • Create a new Olympic sport and test out the activity with your classmates / students.
  • Keep track of the medal count and work out the percentage of gold, silver and bronze that your country wins. Create a poster to track the medal count.
  • Have students "adopt" an athlete from another country - find out their story and a little bit about their country and then share with the class.
  • "Adopt" another country to cheer for and find out as much as you can about their athletes.  
  • Make a medal count prediction and award the person who came closest. 
  • Research London, England and find out what they did to prepare for the Games. 
  • Research the history of the Olympics and have students present some of the main ideas to the class. 
  • Have your own Olympic games - but keep it light and fun and combine athletic events with math and literacy events. 
  • I'm sure that there are 100s more engaging activities that you can do to highlight the Olympics.  Share your favorite below!
Here's a FUN FREEBIE for you to use with students that involves them pretending to attend the Olympics and then writing a "postcard" and sending it home.  Click the image below to download a copy of the activity - template and extension ideas included!


Hope you're all having a fantastic summer! Let the Games begin!

Addie
Follow for Freebies

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment